Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I JUST WANT SOME YOGURT!!!!!

I went to the grocery the other day to pick up some things, including yogurt. I tell people daily that yogurt is a great way to get in some extra protein, calcium and vitamin D for a reasonable amount of calories. Poor things, I didn't realize that I had sent them in to make one of the toughest decisions of their lives!!
I am not an avid yogurt eater (something about the texture) but it sounded good, so I started searching the yogurt isle. For starters, there are more options than you can count - low carb, low fat, light, added fiber, increased probiotics, natural, no added sugar, fruit on the bottom, generic, every flavor imaginable, and on, and on, and on. I was, to say the least, overwhelmed.
I started looking at the ingredients of some and was astounded!!!!!
The light *Yoplait ingredient list startled me the most. The second ingredient was high fructose corn syrup - one of the main ingredients I tell people to avoid at all costs! Along with that, down the list a little, was *Aspartame (the artificial sweetener). Why would a product need both high fructose corn syrup and *Aspartame?
It just goes to show that even when you think you are making a good choice, you never know.

I ended up settling on a natural yogurt with only four ingredients and no "fillers" like high fructose corn syrup or corn starch.

I didn't like it.

-DVS

No comments:

Post a Comment