Thursday, August 5, 2010

"Can you pass me my prenatal vitamins..oh, and that joint?"

First, let me apologize for my notable absence. I'm sure ALL of my readers were devastated (especially you, Dad:). My topic today is the product of an experience I had this morning. I got fired up, so I'm taking my frustrations out here.
I'm sure you have heard of morning sickness - whether you have experienced it, seen your partner go through it, or just saw it in a movie once. It is just one of the many joyous side effects of pregnancy. Not everyone experiences it, but for its victims, it is apparently awful. Starting each day with your head in the toilet is not the way I would want to greet the morning. Anyway, I don't know if I mentioned this, but I work with a lot of prenatal women. They often surprise me, but lately I have had a few that have just dumbfounded me. The women I'm referring to confessed to me that they've been treating their morning sickness with an old fashioned remedy.....doobies. That's right...pot, weed, grass, reefer, ace, bammy, WHATEVER! No matter how you say it, it sounds ridiculous. (Trust me, it was hard to keep a straight face when saying, "Ok, so how many joints are you smoking a day, pregnant lady?")
Granted many will argue that marijuana has a lot to offer many, especially those suffering from chronic pain or anorexia; however, ILLEGAL DRUGS SHOULD NOT BE USED BY THOSE CARING INNOCENT FETUSES AROUND IN THEIR BABY MAKER!
The American Pregnancy Association warns that "Smoking marijuana increases the levels of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide in the blood, which reduces the oxygen supply to the baby. Smoking marijuana during pregnancy can increase the chance of miscarriage, low birth-weight, premature births, developmental delays, and behavioral and learning problems." There are also similar warnings about 2nd hand marijuana exposure.
How am I supposed to convince a woman that she needs to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables she is eating if she can't put down her ganja long enough to listen?!! Pregnancy is not cancer, people. You don't get to skip out on the rules just because you have a bun in the oven.
This has been a Public Service Announcement by Erin. Thank you for listening.

3 comments:

  1. These people don't need a nutritionist they need a parole officer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: If i am willing to pay for my childs behavioral and learning problems down the road, that totally gives me the ok to have a good reefer to help my morning sickness right? I tend to be a little selfish. (totally kidding by the way)

    ReplyDelete