Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Awkward Comments

Ran into an interesting/annoying situation recently (and so have several of my friends that choose to occasionally eat healthy meals at work). I go to retrieve my salad that I have prepared with delicious greens, tomatoes, mushrooms, egg, raisins, a dash of cheese and some of my fav light honey mustard dressing. With it, I get my peanut butter sandwich and delightful gala apple out! I'm pumped - ready to sit down, read whatever Avon catalog or newspaper is sitting in front of me, and enjoy my lunch. Of course, someone has to trot into the too small kitchen area and say something ridiculous like "Oh, too healthy for me!" or "Wow, I never eat that healthy!" or "Jesus, what is that? Vegetables?" or "I have really low self esteem to the point where I can't walk by someone that is eating something that doesn't contain 30g of fat or more without making a nasty ass comment about it before I grab my leftover pizza and go back to my office and sit and eat like the grump that I am." In short, its annoying, awkward, and unnecessary!
A friend of mine works in a setting where groups often head out to eat at lunch. She has often ran into extreme scrutiny when it comes time to eat. If she stays back, she feels like a snobby biatch, and if she goes, people are rude about her request to go somewhere that has a decent salad selection.
The person in the wrong here is the one that can't keep their mouth shut. Its hard enough to try and make healthy decisions for yourself without people's side comments from the peanut gallery. If, upon reflection, you find that you are one of these culprits - wrap it up! No one wants to hear your awkward comments - so, keep it zipped and move along!

No comments:

Post a Comment