Monday, June 13, 2011

I have an Eating Disorder PART I

I realized that I was on to something last weekend when I went to get a typical Sunday night dinner at not 1, but 2, fast food restaurants. I wanted chicken rings from White Castle, but with McDonald's fries and an Oreo McFlurry. (You know that's an impressive combination:) I hit up McDonald's second and placed my purchases in the hands of the untrustworthy character in my passenger seat. What happened next embarrasses me still. My enraged reaction to him pretending to eat one of my fries was shocking and frightening...to us both! What was I doing?! Why did I act like I was literally STARVING?!! Well, I'm thinking that I might just of been! A similar situation happened when I got my hands on some sour cream and onion Pringles at the lake the other day. I was standing in the kitchen shoving them in my face 3 at a time. On 2 separate occasions someone tried to talk to me only to be ignored as I continued until the entire canister was empty. I couldn't stop myself. I was entranced and literally couldn't think about anything else until I had finished the while thing!!

I have been thinking about this idea a lot lately, and I think that it deserves some attention. I have devoted this week's posts to the development of my thoughts on the idea that not only I (or the 20 somethings of the world) but Americans as a whole have adopted a possibly dangerous disordered eating pattern. For the shock and awe affect, I would go as far as saying that the pattern that I'm talking about is an eating disorder. (But we'll get to all that later on.)

For now, I am referring this pattern as Weekly Extremes Disordered Eating Pattern (WEDEP)
Today's piece of the puzzle has to do with the pattern itself. The pattern includes a weekly cyclic process of eating and exercising in a strict manner Monday through Friday only to binge on unhealthy food and alcohol while staying sedentary for the 48 hour stint of the weekend.

I am speaking from experience. Up to this point in my life, I have considered this "balance." I encourage people to splurge once in a while as long as they have the personal confidence that they will be able to go back to the oatmeal and spin classes that await them on Monday morning. I have considered carrot sticks on Thursday followed by McDonald's on Friday absolutely fine...ideal in fact! But, I feel that I, along with many, have taken this concept to the extreme.

The goal should be making choices produced by efforts to remain health conscious. However, this pattern seems to be more vanity conscious than anything. As long as that damn dress fits on Friday night, then I'm golden!

I did the math. Here is and example of a weekday vs. weekend day intake and workout regimen for myself.
1) Weekday
- Breakfast: Oatmeal with skim milk and Peanut butter
- Snack: 6oz Greek yogurt
- Lunch: PB&J with apple with string cheese
- Post-workout snack: Protein bar
- Dinner: Chicken sausage with vegetable medley
- Workout: 40 min run

2) Weekend
- Breakfast: Starbucks' sausage, cheese, and egg sandwich with low-fat chocolate milk
- Lunch: PB&J
- Dinner: Plain hamburger and small fry
- Snack while drinking: 2oz potato chips
- Alcohol: 10 beers
- 4th meal: 2 soft tacos and nacho supreme
- no workout

My average intake on a weekday is around 1,500 calories. Coupled with an average 30 min workout burning 300 calories, that is a net of 1,200 calories. On an average weekend day involving Starbucks, alcohol, and a 4th meal, I eat about 4,000 calories. With no workout in site, that is a net of 4,000 calories. Knowing that 3,500 calories is equal to 1 lb of fat, I (on a weekly basis) gain 1 lb from Friday to Sunday and then lose 1 lb from Monday to Friday.

Here are some additional feedback that I received from a few friends...

25 y.o. male
1) Weekday- Breakfast: one packet Quaker oatmeal
- Mid-morning snack: banana
- Lunch: Lentil soup, spinach salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette, string cheese
- Afternoon snack: apple
- Post-work workout: 1 hour of concentrated, super-setted weight training & light cardio
- Dinner: Grilled chicken breast, salad w/ light Italian dressing, green beans

2) Weekend

- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (no egg whites; 4 eggs)
- Lunch: Wendy's #6 (Spicy chicken sandwich w/ cheese, large fry, diet coke)
- Dinner: Spaghettios and two leftover pepperoni pizza slices
- Crunkness: 12-16 beers throughout course of the night; 3-4 bourbon shots
- 4th Meal: Taco Bell - crunch wrap supreme, fiery burrito, soft beef taco, small nachos
- no workout

25 y.o. female

1) Weekday
- Intake: 1300-1500 calories
- Workout: 1 hour of boot camp plus either gym or a walk-in-talk after

2) Weekend
- Intake: 2500-3500 calories
- Workout: I do try to run/gym it up for at least a hour or something that sweats some out
Damn McDonald's

25 y.o. male
1) Weekday

- Intake: 1900 calories
- Workout: Lift for 30 min. Elliptical for 30 min.

2) Weekend

- Intake: 4200 calories
- Workout: yard work

So as you can see, there is a large discrepancy between the weekday regimen and the weekend regimen. I always knew it was bad, but never really thought about the negative affect it might have. If my weight stays the same from week to week and I am still having the energy for weekday workouts, what's the big deal? Well, that is what we're going to look at this week. It might have a bigger impact that we think! And, maybe there is a better way of doing things.

Challenge: Do your own calorie count. What is the average difference between your weekday and weekend intake vs. output?

No comments:

Post a Comment