Monday, November 29, 2010

Confessions of a Dietitian

Yes, I'm a dietitian. This means that my role in the "working world" is to be a food and nutrition expert. I wouldn't go as far as expert, but its safe to say that I do know a little about these topics. However, this holiday weekend, I took a hiatus. No, I didn't indulge in an extra piece of pumpkin pie - I indulged in a never ending barrage of food and beverages that would strain the stomach of an NFL linebacker.

This weekend, my diet included 2 bottles of wine, 2 Thanksgiving meals (no I didn't skip the rolls), 2 White Castle trips (yes, one was on Thanksgiving - keep in mind this is a no judging zone), a fabulous lunch at McDonalds (thanks, Dad), a large popcorn at the movies...with butter (Megamind was hilarious), a sesame seed chicken meal from a Chinese buffet (it came with one egg roll, I went ahead and ordered an extra), throw in a Taco Bell taco, an order of nachos, some mystery casserole I vaguely remember, a couple Vodka Diets and enough Captain Morgans to inebriate the Captain himself, and you have it! Wish I was kidding......but I'm not. You see, even the ones who are supposed to do everything right, occasionally fall off the wagon - so no need to feel guilty on your end!
Receipt from White Castle (won't rotate for some reason). Anywho, notice the total (do they even accept that much money?) and notice the time. I would consider that a forth meal:)

By Sunday I was walking more like a penguin, throwing my weight side to side in order to propel myself forward. I can't lie. It was awesome. Keep reading...there is a moral to this disgusting story. Once you fall off the wagon, it's crucial to hop back on as soon as possible. Its OK to enjoy yourself once in a while, but you have to have confidence in your ability to regain control. Sunday I went back to my normal routine - oatmeal for breakfast, a good workout, and additional healthy meals to follow. Now, back at work, I again have oatmeal in my tummy and my gym bag packed for this afternoon!

So, no harm, no foul. There will be days, weeks, months, years when you feel that you have fallen off the wagon. It only takes one day to get back on board. Then, day after day, you slowly get back to your old self!

So, follow suit - hop back on the wagon and get back to your old self!!! Well, until Christmas...I'm assuming I'm not going to skip the rolls then either:)

Happy Thanksgiving Recovery!!

2 comments:

  1. It's always nice that my Dietitian truly understands the hardships of holidays or whatever world-wind moment that spends you into a downward spiral away from healthy behavior.

    After reading this post, I put on my workout gear and heading to the gym. Thanks E!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle! Glad I could help!!!!! Keep the comments coming!!!

    ReplyDelete