Thursday, November 18, 2010

On a diet? Skip the duck!

Some people have fond memories of feeding little ducklings little bread crumpets kept in their cupboard for those perfect weather days. Their mother would wrap them in swaddling clothes and walk with them, holding hands, in the park. Then, when they saw the first little billed creature coming, they would get out their bread and feed the cute little feathered animals.

NOT ME! What I remember is some ugly ass thing biting my hand at the zoo eating pavilion because it wanted my sandwich. Ducks are selfish, greedy little things with one track minds. "bread, bread, bread, bread, bread, bread, bread." GET YOUR OWN DAMN BREAD!

The late comedian Mitch Hedberg put it brilliantly, "I find that a duck's opinion of me is influenced by whether or not I have bread. A duck loves bread, but he does not have the capability to buy a loaf. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever." Hahahahah - he cracks/cracked me up!

Regardless of my personal feelings for them, they are not the best on your health either. As with anything, if you eat the meat with skin, it will be much higher in calories and fat. Here's a little comparison chart (you know I love to make these.)

Meat (4oz)                                 Calories             Fat
Beef (95% lean)                         193                    7.5g
Chicken Breast                           100                    1.5g
Chicken with skin                        223                    8.8g
Turkey Breast                             120                    0.5g
Duck                                          150                    6.75g
Duck with skin                             460                   44.6g

Plus, duck is high in cholesterol. In 4 oz. of skinless meat, there are about 87mg of cholesterol. This Thanksgiving, I'd stick with the turkey.

P.S. Have you ever heard of a Turkucken? That is when you stick a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. Enough said. I have have to go throw up now.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment