Monday, December 27, 2010

Rules for Your New Year's Resolution

We are now counting down to the New Year. I'm already hearing the buzz...."I'm going to work out for 3 hours everyday." "Well, I'm going to ONLY eat cabbage soup for the first month of 2011." "Oh yeah, well I'm going to drop 10 lbs in the first 10 days by eating with chopsticks only."

The madness seems to be about the same every year. Everyone is looking for the most outrageous goal to out-do the nut in spandex sitting next to them. Well, guess what? Those people won't last 2 weeks! You can't expect a miracle come January 1st. It's just another day, and you have to approach your health just like you would any other day of the year.....REALISTICALLY.

How about this for a change....."I'm going to try one new "healthier" lifestyle change at a time, so I can stick to my goals and ACTUALLY see results - This as opposed to trying some ridiculous diet where you start twitching 3 days in and acting like some hanis, crazed a$$ hole/biatch." Just a thought.

With that in mind, hopefully you are thinking about a change that you can make this New Years. But, hopefully, it is a realistic, achievable, and healthy goal. Here are some helpful hints when making your New Year's Resolution:

  • Think to yourself, 'can I keep this goal up for more than 30 days?'
  • If you asked your physician, would he or she approve of your goal?
  • Will your goal make you feel better about yourself?
  • Is your goal measurable?
  • Does your goal set a time limit? (ex. I am going to try one new vegetable every 30 days this year)
  • Is your goal realistic? (ex. 'I am going to only eat fruits and vegetables' is not realistic)
  • Is your goal specific? (ex. 'I am going to eat more fish' is not. However, 'I am going to eat fish 1 time per week' is!)
So, when it comes time to make that New Year's Resolution, ask yourself these questions and set a goal that will improve your self esteem - as opposed to making you feel like an overweight failure.

Moral of the Story: Set yourself up for success!!
Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment