Thursday, January 27, 2011

Food is Love

As I rounded the corner of the McDonald's drive-through this morning to pick up a # 4 with a large Coke that I had ordered for my boyfriend's birthday breakfast, I started thinking about the connection between food and love.

Had I showed up on his door step with a fresh fruit cup and yogurt, would it have said the same thing?....I love you?

Once the aroma of the hashbrowns reached my nose and my mouth began to water, the irony set it. I am a dietitian that continuously shows my love with food.......unhealthy food! Food is one of most people's favorite thing in the world, so when you are trying to get the message across that you care, it's only natural to grab a cookie cake or, in my case, a sausage biscuit with egg.

Watching him enjoy those 970 calories made me warm inside. I felt like the best girlfriend in the world! When, in actuality, I couldn't have done anything worse. I talk about nutrition ALL day. At work, with my low-carb fanatic roommate, with the meat guy at the grocery, in this blog, to people at parties who insist on telling me everything they have had to eat that day! And I love it! I pride myself on this vast knowledge that I have googled.

However, I still choose to show my love is such a hypocritical way. I don't know what that says about me or the power of Mc'D's crack cokes, but I doubt that I will at time soon stop showing my love with Big Mac's and sausage biscuits.

These are just thoughts - there is no education in here what so ever. Hope you all have a great Thursday, and next time you find yourself buying unhealthy food out of love and affection.....think twice....is that really how you want to show you care? 
P.S. Happy Birthday to my favorite person in the world. I would buy you a # 4 any day:)

4 comments:

  1. Too cute...but really, your favorite person in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. hari raya goodies

    ReplyDelete