Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fried Chicken? WTF?

What is it with fried chicken? People can't get enough! I maybe eat it once a year at a party, but other than that, when the h3ll would I eat fried chicken?

I don't know how to make it. (You have to have a deep fryer, and if you own a deep fryer, you really need to re-think your goals in life). I would never order it at a restaurant. (If you are in a restaurant serving fried chicken, I'm going to assume that you are screwed no matter what you order.) And I would never go to KFC or any of it's knock-offs. (If I am eating fast food, I'm usually at McDonald's, Taco Bell, or Arbys.....like normal people.)

I just don't understand the attraction. It's greasy, you can see the chicken's bloody veins, it's messy, and just overall........not good. At Derby this year, they were selling deep fried chicken or turkey or human legs. I couldn't tell. All I could see was the carnage and remaining fragments of skin on people's faces as they walked by. It gives me chills just thinking about it. People have no shame. Not to mention the amount of calories, fat and cholesterol involved!

Ugh. But, I'm not a judger:) If you are h3ll bent on eating fried chicken, here is a healthy recipe for you to try in lieu of anything involving a redneck heart attack cooker. (aka - a deep fryer).

Oven-Fried Chicken

Ingredients
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tbls Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced (or from the jar)
1 tsp hot sauce (like Tabasco)
2 1/2-3 pounds chicken legs, skin removed, trimmed and cut into thighs and drumsticks
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tbls sesame seeds
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
ground pepper to taste
Olive oil or fat-free cooking spray

Directions
1. Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 min or up to 8 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
3. Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking of excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on the prepared rack. Spray the chicken with cooking spray.
4. Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink int he center, 40-50 minutes!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment