Monday, May 9, 2011

Man vs. Food Encounter

Over the weekend at the 137th Kentucky Derby, I had a celebrity sighting that put the 'ronic' in 'ironic.' I saw Adam Richman, star of the Travel Channel's Man vs. Food. This is a man that travels the country taking on food challenges in hopes of spreading a little publicity and, fingers crossed, getting his picture on the wall. (For his sake, I hope he also makes a little money.)


In undergrad, our dietetics classes were often partnered with kids in the hospitality management program (chefs, hotel managers, etc). Talk about hilarious. In our cooking classes, all the little dietitians would be so meticulous in their measurements and attempt egg white substitutions whenever possible. Meanwhile, the hospitality management kids were whipping the pint of bourbon out of the fridge and dousing everything from a breakfast casserole to a duck meat glaze in UNMEASURED amounts of alcohol. Point of the story, we didn't work too well together.

Well, this Adam kid, seems like the king of the hospitality management kids. And, of course, his ass is famous and here I am writing about him. Another reason I should have drank more bourbon!!! (notice his mint julep:)

Just a thought, Adam:)
Anyway, Adam was in town I guess to enjoy a little horse racing history, but let's hope he's also filming an upcoming episode of his show!! It would be great to bring a little attention to a few local restaurants and to the beautiful city of Louisville, Kentucky itself!!

You know how I love a calorie count.....Adam recently attempted a burger challenge at Buba's Burgers and Ice cream in Carmel, IN in which he attempted to eat 4, 22oz burgers. Even though he only got through 2, he still managed to down 2,400 calories in beef alone. Add in at least 800 calories for the bun, and you are looking at 3,200 calories worth of burger here. Oh, and about 80g of fat. But, don't worry...He got his picture on the wall!!!

In an interview he stated that, other than his challenges, he eats a very well-balanced diet and trains with a personal trainer. He said he emptys his stomach as much as possible for his challenges in order to perform at his best! In person, he is very cute. (I would have attempted to hit on him if his bouncer hadn't of elbowed me out of the way!!) He's adorably round in the middle, but nothing like I thought he'd look after continuously downing 3,000+ calorie meals! He also stated that he goes to the doctor regularly in order to monitor his health. Thank god.

Regardless, my ironic encounter was one of the highlights of my day! He told me to be nice if I wrote about him. I hope that I accomplished that goal!!

Check out Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel, premiering on June 1st at 9pm EST. Warning: Don't watch hungry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment