Thursday, July 7, 2011

Did the brown or white egg come first?

Well, I'm not an evolution expert, but probably around the same time. Brown eggs and white eggs just come from 2 different types of hens. You don't have to believe me, the color of the egg actually correlates with the color of a hen's earlobe. Yes, chickens have earlobes! The ones with white earlobes lay white eggs and the ones with red earlobes lay brown eggs.

Considering they contain the same amount of egg white and have approximately identical nutrients, why would you pay more for the brown eggs? So your re-fridge can look green-friendly when strangers look in there?

Who knows. White eggs are more popular because hens that lay white eggs require less feed, which makes them more practical as egg producers.

Decide for yourself, but I'm going to save a couple bucks and stick with white eggs...and go buy myself something pretty with my egg savings!

- Thank you, Elizabeth, for today's topic!

1 comment:

  1. Great article! I buy plain ole white eggs.

    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete