Thursday, July 14, 2011

My favorite summer fruit: WATERMELON

It's expensive to buy pre-cut fruit, but buying a whole watermelon can be intimidating!! (If you dont' know what to do with it.)

I hadn't cut one up myself until THIS summer! Terrible, I know. Regardless, I now know how to do it and I buy a 1/2 watermelon probably every other week! It is so delicious - juicy and sweet - it makes a great snack anytime of the day!

With 50 calories in a cup and boat loads of vitamin C, this is a very healthy choice if you are needing something sweet. Also, filled with lycopene (like tomatoes), eating watermelon is good for you skin - which is especially important during the summer months!

Here's how you do it. (You'll need a rather large knife)

1. Cut the watermelon in half (if you buy a whole watermelon)
2. Cut the melon into fourths.
3. Using your knife, cut somewhat of a grid into the melon.
4. Now, use your knife to cut in between the rind and the inner pink portion. Doesn't have to be perfect, just keep cutting.
5. You will end up with a scooped out rind.
7. I just store the melon chunks in Tupperware in the fridge. It will stay good for a looooonnnnggg time!!
Cleanup is easy - you'll get watermelon juice on your counter, but it wipes right off!! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment